"Peru was the first country in South America that I visited, and still perhaps my favorite. The sheer diversity of geography, the kindness of the people who live there, and the fantastic food scene still draws me back as often as I can get there".
Crossing into Peru means crossing into a world of wonders. Its magic includes both the sublime stonework of Machu Picchu and the infinite biodiversity of the Amazon, the glittering waters of Lake Titicaca and mysterious pyramids crumbling in the desert. When you go, you’ll find its spell irresistible from the moment you touch down.
The enchantment begins in Lima, the capital, home of Latin America’s most stunning colonial architecture—and a mind-boggling cuisine that’s got foodies raving the world over. It deepens in the Amazon, where pink dolphins frolic alongside luxury steam cruises. And it reaches a climax in Cuzco, capital of the Incas’ legendary empire.
Here are some of your nearly endless options as we help you plan your Peruvian odyssey:
- Machu Picchu needs no introduction. But around, behind, and even above the great citadel are sacred Inca sites you can include on your “Machu Picchu Day 2.”
- On Peru’s Andean altiplano, native tribes with a 1,500-year history hand-weave floating islands from lakeside reeds. You can listen to their stories.
- In the Amazon, shamans—traditional religious healers—still practice medicinal techniques that date back to the dawn of civilization. Talking to them, one rediscovers a timeless wisdom lost to the modern world.
- Amidst the sands of the northern coast lies Chan Chan, the largest adobe settlement on Earth—Peru’s “other lost city.”
- In Cuzco, an ancient Inca temple was once considered the center of the universe. Are there really secret tunnels running beneath it?
Experience the cultural and natural wonders of Peru while still enjoying the "finer things in life" with this 5-star tour of the Inca region.
Duration:: 11 days, 10 nights
Explore some of the "must sees" in Peru that include the Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu, Cusco and Lake Titikaka.
Duration:: 9 days, 8 nights
Experience Peru by land and river: Amazon jungle, the Inca capital of Cusco, the Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu.
Duration:: 14 days, 13 nights
Lost World has planned several trips for us including Panama, Nicaragua, and Colombia, all well done and amazing. This past month we went to Peru and Machu Picchu with the assistance of Andrew and Garrett. This will be one of our favorite destinations as Machu Picchu and the surrounding areas left me speechless in their mysterious beauty. We had 10 days in Peru, several locations, planes, trains, and automobiles, river rafting and many guided tours. Everything went like clockwork. I continue to be impressed with the quality of travel guides that Andrew partners himself with. These guides go above and beyond always, including transfers, by walking you to check in at the airport/train station/bus station and ensuring you get through security and/or on the correct transport. We had a cooking lesson from a Peruvian chef in his home! Stellar! This was a trip of a lifetime and I want to thank both Garrett and Andrew for all their assistance in making this happen! If traveling to this part of the world, I highly recommend Lost World Adventures, I am already starting to plan our next adventure with them- Ecuador and the Galapagos!
Kris and Tim from Chicago